Corporate Transactions • Global Technology Agreements • IP Transactions • Software Development • Marketing & Licensing • Legal Department Leadership • Human Resources • Risk Management • Real Estate • Outside Counsel Oversight
Accomplished corporate counsel with 25 years of experience managing a broad spectrum of legal affairs, and directing global transactions on behalf of leading technology companies. Scope of experience includes corporate technology transactions, commercial agreements, software licensing and services, partners and resellers, and intellectual property protection and exploitation. Possesses a deep understanding of the software industry, that includes extensive experience in software development, licensing, distribution, consulting services, and technical support. Effective negotiator with a reputation for successfully closing deals and developing strategic relationships. Recognized for developing effective corporate and intellectual property strategies, and devising legal initiatives that meet business goals while reducing costs and liability.
2005 - 2018
Vice President and General Counsel
SOURCECODE TECHNOLOGY HOLDINGS, INC. (Doing business as K2)
- Advise senior executives and lead the global legal affairs of a premier business process management (BPM) software developer with 1.5 million users in 84 countries.
- Oversee all legal aspects of the company’s operations, software development, licensing, distribution, consulting services, technical support, resellers and channels, marketing, and intellectual property protection.
- Supervise all patent and trademark, employment, real estate, and other company matters and activities.
- Manage the company’s transactions, and close deals with customers and vendors while maintaining a consistent risk profile and business scalability.
- Directed the acquisition of a China distributor, established regional offices in Shanghai, Hong Kong and Taipei, and subsequently led the divestiture of the same offices.
- Provided guidance and ensured the successful closing of a $150 million private equity investment in the company.
Outside Counsel Oversight:
- Supervise outside counsels and review and negotiate all related fee agreements with a focus on cost-effectiveness.
- Shape and implement the company’s licensing strategy, including the new Software-as-a-Service initiatives, consulting services and reselling strategies, and corresponding legal agreements worldwide.
Litigation & Risk Management:
- Negotiate the settlements of potential claims both against and initiated by the company with the goal of damage mitigation.
2001 - 2005
CORPORATE COUNSEL – MICROSOFT GAME STUDIOS
MICROSOFT CORPORATION (NASDAQ: MSFT)
- Served as the chief attorney and business counsel for Microsoft Game Studios, a leading developer and publisher of entertainment software for Windows-based personal computers and the Xbox video game system.
- Acted as the primary counsel for the marketing and promotions groups responsible for marketing Xbox and Microsoft games, including supporting nationwide and global relationships with Pepsi, Samsung, Electronic Arts, and MTV.
- Served as the lead counsel for the franchise development groups responsible for ancillary projects and merchandising related to game intellectual property (e.g., alternate game platforms, localization, films, television, music, books, toys, etc.).
- Represented Bungie Studios, the developer of the “Halo” franchise, and assisted in launching “Halo 2” which was the single biggest day in entertainment history, with over 3 million copies sold, and more than $125 million in sales in 24 hours.
Software Licensing & Intellectual Property:
- Handled all licensing and publishing agreements for the company, that included 12 studio groups that simultaneously developed up to 25 games, and provided legal counsel for MSN Games and Microsoft’s primary Internet presence.
- Led all matters pertaining to entertainment software trademarks and copyrights, online gaming, privacy, anti-piracy, geopolitical concerns, and game ratings.
1999 - 2001
REAL NETWORKS (NASDAQ: RNWK)
- Served as a senior attorney and business counsel for the number one streaming media company with over 100 million unique registered users of its software products.
Software Licensing & Commercial Agreements:
- Handled complex software licensing and distribution agreements, technology development and partnering, business plan formulation and implementation, encryption and privacy considerations, game, and other entertainment agreements.
- Negotiated and drafted critical company agreements with Sony, EDS, ISPs and cable companies, and OEMs and ISVs, as well as all game and support agreements for launch of RealArcade, RealNetworks’ online gaming network.
1994 - 1999
ORACLE (NYSE: ORCL)
- Served as a corporate counsel on behalf of the world’s second largest software company, handling licensing and distribution for major accounts, channels, vertical markets, and service groups.
Software Licensing & Commercial Agreements:
- Negotiated and drafted software licensing agreements, in-licensing and channels agreements, consulting contracts, confidentiality agreements, marketing agreements, and other technology and corporate documents.
- Drafted and collaborated with the CFO to negotiate the then second-largest license agreement in Oracle history, with Boeing, worth $120 million.
Awards & Promotions:
- Promoted as the legal counsel for the Northwest and Rocky Mountain commercial regions, and for the Aerospace & Defense vertical accounts nationwide.
- Received several awards and commendations for consistently providing outstanding legal support and contributions.
1992 - 1994
WILSON, SONSINI, GOODRICH & ROSATI LLP
- IP Litigation:
- Represented clients in intellectual property litigation matters, including trial preparation and independent case management, performing extensive legal research and writing in high technology and other legal areas.
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY SCHOOL OF LAW (BOALT HALL)
- High Technology Law Journal, Managing Editor (1991 – 1992), Associate Editor (1990 – 1991)
- Appellate Advocacy Program and Moot Court Board, Director
- First Year Moot Court Program, Student Advisor; First Year Moot Court Program, Best Brief Writing Award
- Asian American Law Students Association, Member
Bachelor of Science, Biological Sciences